[ARSCLIST] copyrights

Dear list members,
As many of you may know, I am a veteran filmmaker of more than 39 years.  I am considering work on a story (audio) that involves a horse that lived in the late 1800s.  Does anyone know what the copyright issues could be on such a story? I am working with public records and pamphlets about the horse and his trainer.

Advice would be appreciated as I know we have discussed copyright issues before on the ARSCLIST.
David Hoffman
www.theHoffmancollection.com