Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape recorders

Tristram,

Our reporters have been using minidisc recorders for several years now with
great success. We find several advantages to the minidisc recording format:

The minidiscs record digitally, so no hiss is created on recording.
The recorders are very light and portable.
Reasonably priced.
The content can be quickly and easily edited within the minidisc recorder.
Once the content is transferred to tape or CD-R (as you suggest) the
minidisc can be locked and can act as a  non-archival backup, or be
completely erased and re-used.

Drawbacks we found are:
The recorders are easily damaged when dropped or banged around.
They aren't easily repaired.
The portable recorders aren't built to be long-lasting devices, you'll have
to buy new ones every few years.

That said, they work very well for us in a high-volume production
environment.

Robert C. Robinson, MLS
Senior Librarian
National Public Radio