Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Registry

To 78-L...forwarded for your opinion as well...
...stevenc
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> If you reread what you wrote <usw.>
The first flaw in this "table" and the greatest one is, IM(H)O, that several
of
the "winners" were not recordings at all, but historical events that
happened
to be recorded entirely by accident! IMHO, they were slightly confused as
to whether they were doing recording milestones or historic ones!
The second is that certain recordings were probably included for the sake
of political correctness! I can't see any other reason for including the
first
recording of East Indian/Caribbean ethnic music...while, oddly enough,
omitting the well-known Mamie Smith Okeh! Any other ethnic group would
have a valid reason for demanding "equal time" (will any?)
Were I appointed to the task of assembling a "Recording Hall Of Fame," I
would have defined admission by stipulating only commercial recordings
(including "private recordings" intended for limited sale).
My thoughts...
...stevenc``