Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Registry

In a message dated 1/29/2003 10:07:58 AM Pacific Standard Time, mikel78_rpm@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The host said "with great difficulty".
Here's how you do it fellas. You take a cassete recorder and hook it up to a
phillips (or any other brand) cd recorder and you transfer it following the
simple instructions in the manual. Converting sound recordings to digital
recordings takes no expertise at all.

Boy is this true.  What I find in all of the work that I have done is that, at the end of the day, with voice recordings especially, the quality matters less than the content.  Spending too much time on quality rather than on the value and the meaning of the content to contemporary generations--  is a waste of time.  The host was completely uninformed and probably turned off some young people who would like to do this sort of thing.  Too bad.

David Hoffman
independent documentary filmmaker
varied directions
www.theHoffmancollection.com