Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Registry

I just listened to the npr show. The host was uninformed. The guests were
dull and uninteresting and I still fail to see what this Recording Registry
program is going to accomplish except wasting the taxpayers money. How much
money has Congress allocated for this project? It is the library's job to
preserve and protect our cultural heritage. The best way to preserve sound
recordings is to convert them to cds and mp3 files and make them available
on the internet. Anything else is living in the past. Sound preservation is
not rocket science. Mr. Smolian could not even instruct a woman how to
convert a cassette to a cd or mp3. The host said "with great difficulty".
Here's how you do it fellas. You take a cassete recorder and hook it up to a
phillips (or any other brand) cd recorder and you transfer it following the
simple instructions in the manual. Converting sound recordings to digital
recordings takes no expertise at all. The LOC should be in the process of
converting ALL of their cylinders to cds or mp3s instead of wasting time and
money on stupid lists like this.-m.l.

http://www.mp3.com/edisonrecords