Re: [ARSCLIST] NYT: A Disc That Will Hold a Bigger Byte of Data

At 06:20 PM 1/23/2003 -0500, stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Lemme see...I have 30,000 78's, or about 180,000 minutes of music
(3000 hours, or 125 days or 4 months of it). Since this is all mono,
how many of these "blu-ray" DVD's would I need to store a houseful
of shellac? Save a lot of space, but not near as much fun to play...

A convenient number for you may be a quarter MB per minute at 32 Kbps. For that compression, 180,000 minutes is 45,000 MB or 44 GB. One disc.

One of the advantages of DVD-ROM (or CD-ROM) is that cross-indexing is on
the disc itself. Of course, the player would have to support it, but on a
computer, you can establish several indexes (I still want to write
indices!) which allow various sorts of a priori association. For example,
on some of those I produce, access is by sequence in prior release, named
soloist, or composer/title.

Mike
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/