Re: [ARSCLIST] Tonearms

Kurt,

 It seems the arm of choice is either a SME 3009 for 12" records or a
3012 for use with up to 16" records. This is a very good arm that is
mildly affordable. The 3009 can be purchased on ebay for 200-300 and the
3012 for a bit more.

 The only drawback to these arms is that the Vertical tracking Angle
(VTA) isn't easily adjusted. It uses a set screw to hold the arm in
place, to adjust, you have to loosen the set screw and raise or lower
the arm by hand. If you transcribe a lot of different types of discs
this can be a major pain. And after a while, the arm tube can become
dimpled, making repeat or finite adjustments nearly impossible.

 Personally I prefer the Technics EPA-250 arm for most records, as this
arm has a removable headshell, removable arm tube, and a very easily
adjustable VTA. In fact the VTA action is so smooth. you can actually
adjust it while playing a record. To low and the low end gets a bit
wooly, to high and the top end gets too bright.

 I have been toying around with the idea of manufacturing a similar type
setup for use with the SME arms. The arm would mount to a base that has
a large adjustable ring to raise and lower the arm. Unfortunately the
machining process would be very complex and the cost would be high,
300-500.00 per unit.

Dave Meyers
Overkill audio inc.