Re: NYT Editorial: The Coming of Copyright Perpetuity

| >So join the campaign and write the members of congress, as they are the
| >only ones now that can do anything about it.  Or vote them out...the ones
| >that seem to be owned by the corporations.
|
| from www.wikepedia.org :
|
| "Copyright owners successfully lobbied Congress for an extension of
| copyright, to provide for the same term of protection as exists in Europe.
| Hence both houses of the United States Congress passed the act as Public
| Law 105-298 with a voice vote, making it impossible to determine who voted
| for the act and who voted against it, and passed it during both the Monica
| Lewinsky sex scandal and the Kosovo War, ensuring that the act would get
| little coverage from the mainstream media."
|
| Jeffrey Gordon, Performing Arts Assistant

Mainstream Media were the people who wanted it, and Sonny Bono was there to help them.  Why would they want to cover it?  This is why the decisions of FCC, (allowing massive mergers of media and broadcasting)  are now so important as well. Pretty soon we will could very likely have available only, like some retail stores (grocers and Borders books) doing "category management", 20 percent of what is actually out there being produced..