RE: arsclist Audio Restoration Projects

Dear All

Harry Rice enquired:

Specifically, has anyone chosen not to include analog preservation copying
and gone directly to digital?

We make an archive copy (warts and all, as faithful to the original sound as
is practicable).
We also make a playback copy (access copy) which may well be 'enhanced' with
CEDAR etc.
We also keep the original whether or not it is archivally stable.
Our Oral History section still, in the main, originates interviews on
Philips type compact cassette and access copies are made also on cassette.
This 'historical' practice is changing, however, as more and more interviews
are originated on minidisc in which case digital transfers are made on CD-R
for access.

Are digital audio files mainly being archived on servers or CDs or both?

Gold 650MB CD-Rs are our preferred carrier, although these are being phased
out by manufacturers leaving us with little choice to use 700MB.  We are
building a 'paper' model for a mass storage system and this will almost
certainly be the way we'll go.  I'd like to see back-ups on the shelf of
CD-Rs (or DVDs?) containing either audio or B-WAV files.

Nigel Bewley
British Library National Sound Archive

Free exhibition at the British Library Galleries :

Magic Pencil : Children's Book Illustration Today (to 31 March) original
graphic work of 13 contemporary artists

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.