Re: arsclist CD writing drive with disc labler.

At 12:34 AM 1/7/2003 -0500, Steve Smolian wrote:
I'm looking at a Best Buy ad for a Yamaha 44x24x44 internal CD-RW drive with T@2 disc labeling technology. Price, $ 79.99 with mail-in rebate.

This seems to write on the unused portion of the underside of the disc after the audio data has been recorded.

Given the concern in some quarters (including these) about writing on the disc's surface, could this be a solution to minimal, otherwise non-intrusive specific identification when burning CDs?

It seems to be an older product of Yamaha's,. Is it being closed out? Are they continuing to use this technology in later products as well?

Has anyone any experience with this product?

I have seen numerous reports on the Yamaha but have not used it. (I use only SCSI for CD-R and CD-ROM.)

From those reports:

1. Even if substantial space is left on the disc, there is room only for limited text.

2. Few media provide enough contrast for the T@2 to be legible. In effect, you are likely to be limited to Verbatim blanks.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/