Re: arsclist Transfer of multiple copies, was: Full 3-D mapping of groove?

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

----- and Richard Hess responded (cut):

> I think this conversation has morphed...but I'd like to suggest that
> for whatever reasons--not yet fully understood by me--the full-track
> reproduction of high-speed full-track tapes provides a richer, warmer,
> cleaner transfer that is not strictly attributable to the S/N
> degradation caused by the head...at least it sounds more and different
> from what one would expect.

----- however, there is no advantage to use the CEDAR azimuth
corrector on two separate parts of a full-track tape - the loss in high
frequencies created by the azimuth error will not be counteracted,
just because you obtain the correct synchronism between the two
parts of the tape. The only remedy is the micrometer attachment to
a tonehead bridge. The CEDAR does not correct azimuth as such,
only the timing error between channels created in a stacked head
where the gaps are not disposed perfectly vertical above each
other. In a 24-track recording this can be a real problem if your
replacement head is not made to same standards as the original
record head.

Kind regards and the best wishes for 2003,

George
-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.