From: owner-ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Dismuke
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 12:22 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: arsclist Recognize This? Research Assistance Requested

I need some assistance in researching a recording, the first 90 seconds of which can be heard in Real Audio at the end of this link: http://dismuke.org/etc/marionettes.ram  For those who do not have Real Audio, an mp3 file of the recording is at http://dismuke.org/etc/marionettes.mp3

Does anyone recognize this song?  The recording comes from a one-sided 78 rpm home recording disc and is believed to have been copied from an earlier, commercially released 78 rpm record.  Unfortunately, the person who owned the disc passed away several years ago so no information surrounding its history is available.  The information on the record's label is handwritten and indicates that the song's title is "Marionettes At Midnight" and lists the band as "Maximillian and His Orchestra."  It is possible - though I have no way of knowing for sure - that the original recording may have been issued in Europe.  If so, it is possible that the song's title appeared on the original release in a language other than English.

What I am wanting to learn is any information about the song's composer as well as the label and catalogue number of the original release.  Also, any information about "Maximillian and His Orchestra" would be very helpful.  I have been unable to locate any bands that went by that name or used it as a recording pseudonym.   If you can help me with this in any way, please contact me at dismuke@xxxxxxxxxxx"