Re: arsclist Top vs. Bottom Posting

At 10:42 PM 12/15/2002 +0100, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:
From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Re: Frank Premise Checker's contribution:

Please, you literates, what is "top posting" vs. "bottom posting"?
I usually take the trouble to quote just that part which needs
commenting - what kind of posting is that? "Partial bottom
posting", perhaps, because the quote part is above my own
contribution? I always delete the adminstrativa.

Since I do not know what to concentrate on, the following is more
or less complete regarding the subject:

... snip ...

Please, please!

Kind regards,

George

Top posting means providing the reply above the quoted material; bottom posting means providing the reply below the quoted material. The third choice, interlineation, is often used when multiple subjects are discussed in a single post, though it can lead to hopeless confusion since it tends to cause multiple threads to spawn from one.

Maximum confusion occurs when top- and bottom-posting are both used on a single thread (and interlineation adds another dimension to the melee). Then the only way to follow a thread is to count indents and even that fails if they were either not supplied originally or were deleted in editing.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/