Re: arsclist Cataloging

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Mike Csontos noted:

> It is remarkable that anyone connected with modern computers and
> computer science would mention using ASCII text files for anything.
> The mere thought of putting down a string of characters without a kb
> of formatting information must be appalling. The fact that anyone,
> anytime (even an alien with six fingers would still use binary
> numbers) could interpret it with just the ASCII code list.

...................  materials I've handled just by clicking on
> the .txt files I have on every computer I use and using WordPad's
> "Find" window. No database license required.

----- You are really making use of the speed of modern computer as
compared to those of the early 1980. Modern programmes do not
get that benefit, because the bloating factor keeps pace with the
increase in speed. In the old days, sequential search through a
linear string took so long that coordinative indexing was invented,
using a controlled vocabulary (descriptors), in order that a much
faster sort function could compare lists having descriptor headings.
In other words, instead of having search times proportional to the
lenght of the file, you just compared two very much shorter lists. All
in all you needed two types of file: one linear, which gave you the
content for display when the "hit" number came up after you had
found your "hit numbers" via the inverted files.

The principles have not changed, only linear searching of simple
ASCII strings have become feasible again. I love the simplicity!

Kind regards,

George

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html