Re: CDs, was DATs, Was Re: arsclist Duplicating casette tapes

At 09:43 AM 08/10/2002 -0700, Jerome Hartke wrote:

Our FAQs at http://www.mscience.com/faq.html point out the problems of
using BLER as a sole indicator of quality. Drill one 2 mm diameter hole
in the information area of a CD, making it unreadable in most drives.
BLER will increase slightly but will remain well within spec.

Jerry, this raises an issue that I've heard mentioned but don't understand.

When the AUDIO CD was introduced in whatever year at the AES, I recall SONY marketing people using electric drills to randomly drill 1/8 inch (~3mm) holes in CDs and showing how well they played.

The "thing" that I've heard is that CD-ROM drives have one less layer of audio error CORRECTION than Audio CD players, but yet I've also heard that DATA is more robust than AUDIO.

Informal experiments have borne this out. Perhaps I heard incorrectly and the process that is missing from CDROM drives (even when playing audio discs) is error CONCEALMENT.

I would appreciate it if you could take some time and explain the layers of CORRECTION and (obviously CONCEALMENT for audio only) that are available on the CD and the DVD. I say the latter because people make claims that the error CORRECTION on the DVD is 10X better than the CD.

THANKS!

Richard

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html