Re: CDs, was DATs, Was Re: arsclist Duplicating casette tapes

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Steve, and others who ought to be concerned:

I will briefly indicate the types for interest, but otherwise I would
recommend that the original AES material is bought, either as hard
copy or in the CD-ROM form; continued sales is necessary to be
able to survive as a conference organiser and publisher

> George, did any of these tests disclose what surface material was used
> for the CDs?
>
> Steve Smolian
>

> > During the AES 20th International Conference in October, 2001,
> > information was presented which give grave warnings about CD-R. The
> > paper by Stanislav Psohlavec was only referred to and recommended,
> > but it is printed in "Practical Experience with Long- Term Archiving
> > of Data on CD-R", in: "The Proceedings of the AES 20th International
> > Conference 2001 October 5-7 Budapest, Hungary - Archiving,
> > Restoration, and New Methods of Recording", Co- chairs Éva
> > Arató-Borsi and Dietrich Schüller, Audio Engineering Society 2001,
> > pp. 15-17.

----- a quote will whet your appetite (if you spell it "wet", it simply
means drooling):

"We were confronted with an attempt to sell us (cheaply) media of
a well-known producer, which were of lower quality. This fact was
discovered on the basis of measurement of several samples.
During the reclamation it was recognized that the source of media
was not fully warranted. In another similar case, the worse discs
were produced by the same producer, but in a (new?) factory in
another country into which the manufacturer wanted to penetrate."

----- Drago tested: