arsclist David Goldenberg, 63, Dies

Philadelphia native David Goldenberg, 63, a pharmacist,
record collector and film preservationist who accumulated a trove of more
than 10,000 classic recordings and early-movie sound tracks.
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Teachers/folkDavidGoldenberg.html

[Not in the current ARSC directory, he was in the last one. My interests
are classical, so I might have overlooked anything circulating about his
activities. Got this from his second cousin, Karen Ellis, with whom I
correspond about matters pertaining to our Stone Age psychology.
--Frank [Forman]

       [1]The Educational CyberPlayGround [2]Where Teachers Hang Out

                  DAVID GOLDENBERG REMEMBERED 1915 - 2002

   David Goldenberg, 63, record collector
   By William R. Macklin <bmacklin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
   [17]http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2001/07/21/obituaries/O-PGO
   LD21.htm
   David Goldenberg, 63, a pharmacist, record collector and film
   preservationist who accumulated a trove of more than 10,000 classic
   recordings and early-movie sound tracks, died Wednesday of
   complications after exploratory back surgery at Abington Memorial
   Hospital.
   A Philadelphia native, Mr. Goldenberg had lived in Rydal for 18 years
   in a house that was part family home and part repository for thousands
   of thick, jet-black 78-r.p.m. records dating to the 1920s and '30s.
   A founding member of the Vitaphone Project, a group of collectors
   devoted to saving early movie sound tracks, Mr. Goldenberg made a
   significant contribution to film preservation recently when he
   provided the Library of Congress with the only complete sound-track
   discs for the classic 1933 film The Emperor Jones.
   "Finding lost pieces to these films is especially significant when you
   consider all the film that has been lost over the decades," said John
   Newton, a friend and cofounder of the Vitaphone Project.
   Mr. Goldenberg began collecting as a 14-year-old after hearing early
   jazz and popular music on the radio in the Upper Darby home of his
   father, a cantor at a local synagogue. The boy collector spent a
   nickel for each record. He blithely ignored friends and family members
   who pointed out that he did not own a phonograph.
   "He said he knew someday he would have the money to buy a record
   player,"
   said his wife of 31 years, Eloise.
   The cash value of Mr. Goldenberg's collection has not been fully
   established, but then he never counted its worth in dollars. He
   focused on the collection and preservation of classic recordings and
   relied on the income from his work as a pharmacist to support his
   private passion.
   After training at the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science,
   Mr. Goldenberg served with an Army mobile surgical unit in the South.
   After his discharge, he worked at pharmacies in Delaware and West
   Philadelphia. In his off hours, he haunted a West Philadelphia jazz
   club, an experience that only intensified his interest in collecting.
   He became active with the International Association of Jazz Record
   Collectors and the Association for Recorded Sound Collections, and he
   mentored younger collectors.
   Mr. Goldenberg worked 20 years as a pharmacist for the Albert Einstein
   Medical Center. He joined Express Scripts, a mail-order pharmacy in
   Bensalem, six years ago.
   In addition to his wife, he is survived by a daughter, Rachel, and a
   brother, Joseph.
   There will be a funeral at 12:30 p.m. 7/22/01 at Goldsteins'
   Rosenberg's Raphael-Sacks at 310 Second Street Pike in Southampton.
   Burial will be at Shalom Memorial Park in Lower Moreland Township.
   Memorial contributions may be made to the
   International Association of Jazz Record Collectors,
   David Goldenberg Fund, c/o Doug Norwood,
   3808-A Mosby Dr.,
   Greensboro, N.C. 27407.
   --
   It happens that I never knew he was my second cousin once removed
   until this past Saturday when my mother Essie Ellis (his second
   cousin) told me she was going to his funeral.
   Mom told me that it was my own great grandfather on my mother's side
   Joseph Lichtman who was responsible for bringing David Goldenberg's
   family to Philadelphia from the Ukraine in 1922.
   Joseph Lichtman, my great grand father married Eva Goldenberg and then
   brought her brother Itsaak Goldenberga cantor, and both her sisters
   Mertza and Pearl and all their families to the US.
   Itsaak Goldenberg and his wife Esther that had two sons, Jack
   Goldenberg and Sam Goldenberg. As a little boy, Sam was thrilled at
   seeing his first electric light and his first movie and later became
   an elementary school teacher, cantor and a choir leader.
   Sam Goldenberg had 2 sons, one named Joseph Goldenberg a counselor in
   the Philly public schools and the other was David Goldenberg.
   After being told the story about David Goldenberg collecting jazz
   music and his repository / archive it struck me an amazing coincidence
   that I also have collected music, [18]Guavaberry Books Publisher of
   DOMINO Book and Cassette by [19]Karen Ellis
   A Cross Curricular, Interdisciplinary, Multi-Cultural Resource
   60 Traditional Children's Songs, Chants, Games, Proverbs, and Culture
   collected from the American Virgin Islands. 45 minute Live Sound Field
   Recording
   [20]http://www.cyberpg.com/culdesac/ReadingModule/domino/_DOMINO_.html
   I am also a teacher, and [21]dream of building a repository one day,
   I've helped to [22]make a movie titled "Standing in the Shadows of
   Motown" that documents the life and times of musicians known as The
   Funk Brothers and being the founder of the Educational CyberPlayGround
   website which is the one you are on right now help thousands find
   information everyday.