From: Brian Levy [mailto:xernaut@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 09 July 2002 02:31
To: arsclist; AV Media Matters
Subject: arsclist Transporting media by airplane?

Hello fellow archivists,

I have a question which is related but not identical
to some of those about irradiation of mail which the
list has dealt with in recent months.

I am planning on moving back overseas to Sweden soon,
and am planning on setting up an archiving studio over
there.

I will need the ability to transport precious, old
reel-to-reel, analog cassette, DAT, VHS, Beta,
Super-8, Hi-8, Digital-8, Mini-DV, CD-R, and DVD-R
media back and forth across the Atlantic about three
or four times per year for the tribes I work with.

Obviously, this raises a few questions:

1.a.  If I carried DAT, Mini-DV, Digital-8, and other
digital tape media on my person on the plane, and
these went through airport x-ray systems, would that
harm the media in any way?
(Perhaps I could request hand-inspection of such
carry-on bags filled with irreplaceable cultural
knowledge, that might be a reasonable request?)

1.b. And what about old reel-to-reels, analog
cassettes, VHS, Beta, and other analog audio and video
formats, would they be adversely affected by airport
x-ray machines?

2. Could I check a large suitcase full of
newly-produced, archival,
to-be-placed-in-Stateside-archives, CD-R's and
DVD-R's, given the possible colder temperatures in the
baggage compartment under the plane [my friend pointed
out to me that his Dalmation never seems to mind that
compartment very much, although in his then-drugged
state, maybe he's not one to ask (ha)]?  Can you think
of any way that digital optical media would be harmed
thus?  (Apart from getting lost by the airline or
overly thrown-around, but assuming they're well padded
and packed...?)

3.  Can you think of any other issues I'm missing?

(I'm also assuming I won't get mugged by someone
assuming I'm some kind of secret agent, and not just a
run-of-the-mill language activist and archivist...)

Thanks for any sharing any thoughts or ideas on these
matters.

Best,

      Brian Levy

=====
Brian Levy
Language Activist; Archivist
Kiwat Hasinay Foundation
Box 305
Binger, OK 73009 USA
(1) 405-401-3928
kiwat@xxxxxxxxxxx

Now open at the British Library Galleries:

Trading Places : the East India Company and Asia (to 22 September)

legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify
the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be
disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of
the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British
Library. The British Library does not take any responsibility for
the views of the author.