arsclist Fwd: [78-l] Edison Sings!

From: "Mike Loughlin" <mikel78_rpm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 78-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [78-l] Edison Sings!
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 19:02:11 -0400

Upon further listening to one of the cylinders from the 1890s Moriarity
cache, I hear Thomas Edison being introduced, probably by himself in a
higher voice. He is instructed that there is no need to speak above a
whisper because the new diaphragm is extremely sensitive. He then recites a
few lines of Shakespeare ("The quality of mercy is not strained...") and
then Mary Had a Little Lamb. The cylinder goes quiet for a while until
Edison is heard singing about four lines from a song with the word "divine"
in it, there is then some laughter and the cylinder ends.

I will listen further to try and make out the words of the song.

Mike Loughlin

http://www.mp3.com/edisonrecords

http://www.mp3.com/edisonrecords