From: owner-ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Paul T. Jackson
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 12:36 PM
To: ARSC
Subject: arsclist Demise of label product?

Here is an interesting thought.  Will streaming as indicated here make produced/manufacturered recordings obsolete...perhaps similar to what the digital camera may be doing to the photo film industry (if cameras become cheap enough?).

RECORD INDUSTRY CHANGING TUNE ON INTERNET
Listen.com added the music library of Universal Music Group to it's
streaming-music catalog making it the only subscription service to include
music from the five major record labels. Another deal signaling a change in
the record industry's acceptance of the online music industry was between
FullAudio and Warner Music. The deal allows consumers to purchase any of
25,000 tracks and burn them to CD for 99 cents. Phil Leigh, vice president
of equity research for Raymond James & Associates said, "We've seen a really
seismic shift in the record label industry." Chris Gladwin, CEO of Full
Audio agrees, "The music industry is taking steps to really make digital
distribution happen in the right way. This is like the beginning of the
music industry at large embracing digital music and saying this is a part of
my future..."
[SOURCE: San Jose Mercury News. AUTHOR: Dawn C. Chmielewski]
(http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/3578189.htm)
(c) Benton Foundation 2002. Redistribution of this email publication -
both internally and externally -- is encouraged if it includes this
message.
Paul T. Jackson - Trescott Research
Information & Library Development
trescott@xxxxxxxxx