RE: arsclist Dolby and unintended consequences

Dear All,
    When I was working professionally for a certain British broadcasting
corporation which shall be nameless, the problems of Dolby C on analogue
video had just begun to surface. I believe the Dolby C system has a fatal
defect. Its compression system uses *peak detection* (rather than RMS or
some form of slugged action), and because Dolby C basically comprises two
Dolby Bs in series (with the latter one handling frequencies an octave lower
at a lower threshold and with double the timeconstants), *any* amplitude or
phase distortion can result in audible artefacts. In the dubbing theatre, we
tried arbitrarily routing encoded sounds through rep-coils or parametric
equalisers until the non-linearities disappeared, and then decoding them
using a standalone Dolby B/C processor made by JVC. But there was never time
for this on news items, and (to my ears) the artefacts happened on at least
one news-story in every news bulletin.
    For your information Richard, there were at least three Telefunken
systems: "C4" was the professional version dividing the frequency range into
four and compressing at 1.5 : 1. There was another one called the Model 112S
for analogue satellite communication which compressed at 2.5 : 1, and a
third down-market one called "Telefunken Hi-Com", licensed to other
manufacturers and sold to the home studio market. I should also mention the
"CX" system invented by U.S. Columbia Records as being *not* audible in the
encoded state; but this never appeared on this side of the pond - it was
killed by being marketed by technical ignorami. And several cassette
manufacturers effectively combined something like Dolby B and dBx, to get
around both patents.
Peter Copeland