Re: arsclist Digital knowledge preservation

At 10:10 PM 6/19/2002 -0400, Dave Bradley wrote:
HI,

Just to add my two cents on this topic, the original message said:

>> I limit my own attempts at preservation to self-contained
>> CD-ROMs in strict ISO 9660 format and include Windows
>> retrieval capability.

Since the term "limit" is used here, it sounds as though you are explicitly saying you do NOT keep the source of the file and only keep the compressed version you're putting on that CD-ROM. But then you say:

> Don-Just because you make an mp3 file of a recording doesn't mean
> you have to throw the source of the file out.

If you don't throw that source out, then you aren't limiting your attempts at preservation to CD-ROMs full of MP3s, which directly contradicts what I'm reading in the original message.
Either you're limiting your preservation to the CD-ROMs of MP3s or you're keeping the original source as well. You can't do both limit and keep at the same time. This may well be the source of a lot of the confusion.

And while I also agree that MP3s may make the recordings more easily accessible, to suggest that the archives be stored ONLY in that format would be foolish.

I am not making such a suggestion - and I am sorry that I did not make myself clear. First, I preserve my source materials as appropriate. I do not consider myself expert in audio engineering and trust that some day, someone with more skill will do better. Second, I do retain my WAV transfers for any future application. They are on CD-ROM in ISO 9660 and I have gladly made copies for others. However, my objective is not to build a personal archive but to make it widely available. Therefore, I prepare the audio in MP3 format, construct HTML, and have the result pressed as a volume of what I call an "Audio Encyclopedia" for distribution via the Internet.

The Encyclopedia volumes are not simply assemblages of audio materials. They are intended to provide a synoptic view of a subject (so far, one in classical vocal music) by collating and cross-indexing the selections with supporting material.

Mike

mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/