Re: (Fwd) arsclist Charlie Chaplin

I inquired of some film-types in my address book and below is one
reply:

> Date sent:              Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:15:25 -0000
>
> I just had the opportunity to hear a dubbed-in soundtrack
> for the 1916 Chaplin film, "One A.M." I understand that
> the music and appropriate sound were added in 1929
> to appeal to a new audience of Chaplin fans.
>
> I wonder if anyone here might be able to tell me who is
> the band. Was it a studio group or a well-known band?
>
> One name a source gave was Michael Mortilla. Anyone
> know anything about him?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim Baldwin

The Chaplin tracks were done by the Van Beuren Corporation for
their reissues of the Chaplin Mutuals in 1932. The music was done
by a studio band under the leadership of Gene Rodemich and/or
Winston Sharples on a couple of films. Rodemich was a great New
York bandleader and the band itself is composed of most of the
great New York session men.You can hear Joe Venuti, Eddie
Lang, Manny Klein, Arnold Brilhart, and others on those wonderful
tracks.

Michael Mortilla is the guy who did the so-so scores for the David
Shepherd reissues of the Mutuals a few years ago.

Susan T Stinson, Curator
Belfer Audio Laboratory and Archive
Syracuse University Library
222 Waverly Ave., Syracuse, NY 13244-2010
315-443-3477    FAX 315-443-4866
-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.