arsclist cylinder housing design

We've been working with Metal Edge (an archival supply firm) to design a new cylinder housing. It is a square box made of acid free, buffered (ph 8-10) board with a top and bottom padded with polyethylene foam and a polyethylene foam tube to support the cylinder. The tube is shorter than the cylinder so you can get your fingers inside to pull out the cylinder as with traditional boxes.

Photos of the box are at: http://nico.library.ucsb.edu/cylinderbox/

The outer dimensions are approx 7.5 x 7.5 x 14 cm, the inner dimensions are approx 7 x 7 x 12.5 cm. The polyethylene tube is 8 cm tall and 4 cm in diameter. This prototype is slightly taller than the final box will be.

We think we've solved most of the problems with other cylinder enclosures that have been produced, but we'd appreciate any thoughts on this box or improvements that could be made to the design.

Best,
David Seubert, Curator
Performing Arts Collection
Davidson Library Special Collections