Fwd: Re: arsclist Fwd: Non-member submission from ["Richard Billeaud"<rbilleaud@compuserve.com>]

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:03:47 -0500
Subject: Re: arsclist Fwd:  Non-member submission from ["Richard
        Billeaud"<rbilleaud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>]
From: punam & dcg <cowrie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rbilleaud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bonjour Richard,

For rules on archival description and systems of archival arrangement, there are no set international or universal standards. There are national standards which have attempted to ensure similarity inter-nationally.

Below is a link for the Canadian Council of Archives. They have recently posted a free PDF download of Part I of the "Rules for Archival Description (RAD)/Règles pour la description des documents d¹archives." Part II of these rules is expected to be posted by summer 2002.

All their publications are available in French and English. The background to Part I gives a good overview of current thinking and approches to the standards. And much of this publication is based on the "Anglo American Cataloguing Rules (second edition)."

http://www.cdncouncilarchives.ca/archdes.html

Hope this helps. Bonne chance.

datejie green
Audio Engineer