Re: arsclist Studio/Shop design

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea! I have received many excellent suggestions, and Richard Warren's article in the ARSC Journal was also very helpful. I just met with my builder this afternoon, and we are moving forward.

Two more questions:

1) I thought it would be a good idea to have a fumigation room. This would be a small enclosed room on the 'non-clean' end of the building with a closeable vent to the outside.

The purpose would be to fumigate records, sleeves, books & cylinders before bringing them into the clean shop environment. I am particularly concerned about silverfish.

Is this advisable? What could I use that would not harm the artifacts? How long must they remain in isolation? Do the items need to be 'loose', or would it be ok to leave them in milk crates?

Once the paper sleeves and cylinder boxes are fumigated, they would be stored in a sealed room. What can I use in the room to keep them vermin free?

2) I will need to purchase about 300 ft of shelves. Graham Newton recommends steel, Richard Warren recommends solid sealed wood. Either way won't be cheap. I do need something with adjustable dividers, however, to keep records from falling or slipping. Does anyone have a source for good quality shelves? Like everyone else, I want to pay as little as possible, but don't want to go with something sub-par. Where would I look for used library shelves, assuming they were available? I checked the Internet, but found mainly manufacturer websites. What brands/types of shelves would you recommend for 78s?

Once I'm done, you're all invited to the open house!

Kurt & Diane Nauck

c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
6323 Inway Dr.
Spring, TX  77389-3643