Fwd: Non-member submission from ["Alan Calmes" <alan.calmes@nara.gov>]

Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:00:03 -0400
From: "Alan Calmes" <alan.calmes@xxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: arsclist Studio/Shop design

--=_441EE66F.C9A8CC8C

Dear Kurt and Diane,

Our Preservation Officer requested me to reply to questions 1 and 2 which =
you posted to the ARSCLIST. =20

All lighting in an archival repository is filtered for UV radiation, and =
generally the amount is kept low when not needed for a particular task.  =
Materials to avoid are detailed in a publication you can download from our =
homepage www.nara.gov   From here click on the Archives & Preservation =
Resources heading, when there choose the Technical Information heading, =
and under here you will find Preservation, and there you will find an =
article on building Archives II.

Sincerely,
Susan Lee-Bechtold
Research & Testing

>>> nauck@xxxxxxxxx 08/30/01 12:29PM >>>
Greetings all.

I am about to start construction on a 6000 sq ft building for my =
business,=20
and I have a couple of questions for the list.

1)    Is there a preferred type of lighting for archives? Something that =
won't=20
cause objects to fade or discolor?

2)    Again from an archivists' point of view, are there certain materials =
I=20
should avoid? This will be a metal building with metal framing & sheetrock.=

3) I will be including a transfer studio. Are there specific things I = need=20 to plan for? Anything special concerning electrical wiring? I won't be=20 recording live music, only doing transfers from discs and cylinders. = Any=20 need for acoustic foam?

I know these are general questions, but I don't know enough to ask =
anything=20
really specific. However, some of you have been in my position and may =
know=20
of things that I need to be aware of.

Thanks!

Kurt & Diane Nauck

c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
6323 Inway Dr.
Spring, TX  77389-3643

Website: www.78rpm.com
E-Mail: nauck@xxxxxxxxx

Phone: (281) 370-7899
Fax: (425) 930-6862

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.

--=_441EE66F.C9A8CC8C

Dear Kurt and Diane,

Our Preservation Officer requested me to reply to questions 1 and 2 = which=20 you posted to the ARSCLIST.

All lighting in an archival repository is filtered for UV radiation, = and=20 generally the amount is kept low when not needed for a particular = task. =20 Materials to avoid are detailed in a publication you can download from = our=20 homepage <3d.htm>www.nara.gov From = here=20 click on the Archives & Preservation Resources heading, when there = choose=20 the Technical Information heading, and under here you will find Preservatio= n,=20 and there you will find an article on building Archives II.

Sincerely,
Susan Lee-Bechtold
Research &=20 Testing

>>> nauck@xxxxxxxxx 08/30/01 12:29PM=20 >>>
Greetings all.

I am about to start construction on = a 6000=20 sq ft building for my business,
and I have a couple of questions for = the=20 list.

1) Is there a preferred type of lighting = for=20 archives? Something that won't
cause objects to fade or=20 discolor?

2) Again from an archivists' point of = view,=20 are there certain materials I
should avoid? This will be a metal = building=20 with metal framing & sheetrock.

3) I will = be=20 including a transfer studio. Are there specific things I need
to plan = for?=20 Anything special concerning electrical wiring? I won't be
recording = live=20 music, only doing transfers from discs and cylinders. Any
need for = acoustic=20 foam?

I know these are general questions, but I don't know enough = to ask=20 anything
really specific. However, some of you have been in my = position and=20 may know
of things that I need to be aware of.

Thanks!

Ku= rt=20 & Diane Nauck

c/o Nauck's Vintage Records
6323 Inway=20 Dr.
Spring, TX  77389-3643

Website: www.78rpm.com
E-Mail:= =20 nauck@xxxxxxxxx

Phone: (281) 370-7899
Fax: (425)=20 930-6862

-
For subscription instructions, see the ARSC home = page
<3d.htm>http://www.arsc-audio.org/= arsclist.html
Copyright=20 of individual posting is owned by the author of the posting and
permissi= on to=20 re-transmit or publish a post must be secured
from the author of the=20 post.

--=_441EE66F.C9A8CC8C--