Identifying Tape Types

Hello,

I am in the process of creating an inventory of a large collection of open reel recordings on 1/4-inch, polyester-base magnetic tape. These reels date from 1970 to 1990. Few of the reels are housed in their original boxes. None of the tapes seem to have identifying tags at the head or tail.

I would like to identify the brands and numbers of these tapes, if possible. I have been noting the presence or absence of backcoating and trying to develop a feel for tape thickness and an eye for the colors of oxide formulations. Does anyone have any tips for identifying tapes beyond these steps? Is there any collected information out there on tape types and their characteristics, such as thickness, reference fluxivity, years of production, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nathan Georgitis