Re: arsclist playback of deceliths

Hello, David and Bernd in particular, but otherwise all interested in
mechanical recordings:

Decelith came in two types: before ca. 1938 there was only the
transparent type, solid stock, and they were covered with a waxy
lubricant. Ca. 1938 a new type appeared: black and rubbery layers
on a white (yet to be determined, but probably cellulose acetate)
carrier layer. These latter were considerably more flexible, and they
were actually manufactured post-war in Germany. I have obtained a
small stock of unrecorded discs of both types and am currently
planning some experiments in cutting signals onto them (I regularly
use a 78rpm record cutting machine). And obviously I will also
reproduce them afterwards to determine the "transparency" of the
system. A report will be forthcoming.

Kind regards,

George
Preservation Tactics