Re: arsclist reel to reel player/recorder

Holly,

There are probably two dozen common track format/speed combinations and some esoteric ones as well that are found on 1/4 inch tape.

Speeds commonly run from 15/32 inches per second to 30 inches per second (in a 2x sequence for six speeds--the most common in most contexts being 3.75, 7.5, and 15 with 1-7/8 and 15/16 being less common)

Track formats are 1, 2, or 4 tracks and for all practical purposes a 2-track machine can play a full-track tape as well as 2-track tapes. 2-track tapes can be stereo or 2-sided. There are 4-track tapes that can be mono, stereo (most common), or 4-channel (least common)

We need to know the formats you have to really help.

If you have a technician handy, often the best place to find a tape player these days is eBay. I've seen professional Sony recorders (like the one on my Web site) going for 2-3 cents on the dollar. Technics RS1500s are commonly available on eBay.

If your budget allows and the tape formats match, perhaps the best recorder still in production today is the Studer A807.

Do any of the tapes have dbx or Dolby noise reduction? If so, you'll need an outboard processor for that.

Good luck!

Richard