Re: arsclist ELT TT

Date sent:      	Thu, 07 Jun 2001 16:38:57 -0500
From:           	Joe Salerno <salernoj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	Re: arsclist ELT TT
To:             	ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Send reply to:  	ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> As I recall there is no flat output, only RIAA. Certainly not so
> difficult to modify.
>
> Joe Salerno

No, but it is not the complete truth. The ordinary output is
unbalanced at a level compatible with a normal RIAA preamp. That
is, to all intents and purposes, the signal emulates a pickup signal
(velocity signal, not ceramic which was basically displacement).
That is why it is easy to do A/B testing with a suitable preamp.
And also, why a preamp for historical records will instantly work.

However, there exists a professional version which has a balanced
line-level output and in which an RIAA (or IEC as we call it today)
preamp is built-in. You may counteract the RIAA externally, but
why not use the unbalanced version?

George
Preservation Tactics