Hirohito speech

A fellow reference librarian here at the Library of Congress has
recently investigated Hirohito's broadcast using our Division's NBC
Radio Collection.

The record in our SONIC database <http://www.loc.gov/rr/record>
states the following:

"Kenneth Banghart reports the latest news from New York after NBC
fails in attempting to broadcast Emperor Hirohito's message."

This message implies pretty strongly that NBC did not record the
speech.  If CBS successfully recorded the broadcast, it might be at
the National Archives.  Otherwise, I'd check with the National Sound
Archive in the U.K.

Regards,

Bryan Cornell
Reference Librarian
Recorded Sound Reference Center
Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division
Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540-4690
Tel.: (202) 707-7833
Fax: (202) 707-8464
Email: bcor@xxxxxxx

>>> Michael Biel <m.biel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 04/12 4:01 PM >>>
I am not sure if this has not been asked here before, but there is a
documentary film maker who is searching for the surrender recording
made by Emperor Hirohito on August 14, 1945 that was broadcast to
his people at noon the following day.  Somewhere I have a picture of
the disc and I think I have a documentary that does play a portion
of it.  But she has been to every conceivable source including some
on this list and NOBODY has it!  Do you?????

Mike Biel  mbiel@xxxxxxx