Re: arsclist 78 RPM Automated Cleaning machines.

Arhoolie Records
10341 San Pablo Ave.
El Cerrito, CA 94530
phone: 510-525-7471
fax: 510-525-1204
http://www.arhoolie.com
Tom Diamant wrote:

> Has anyone had experience with automated cleaning machines using 78s.
> VPI has two different models and Nitty Gritty has several. Anyone know
> if they are any good, and what the difference is between them all?

The machines you asked about were apparently designed to a price point for
periodic use in private collections.

May I suggest you look at the Keith Monks "Archivist" Record Cleaning Machine.
It is the only dual chemistry cleaning machine available, and it allows
cleaning shellac based and vinyl based discs using different solutions
without flushing and cleaning the machine when switching disc types.  It is
designed for continuous duty and suits applications of larger mixed
collections, and overcomes most of the flaws in other manufacturer's units.

http://www.audio-restoration.com/monks5.htm

Library of Congress has bought 3 of them, Boston Public Library has 2,
and the Edison National Historic Site at Orange N.J. chose the Monks
machine also, amongst other institutions with large collections such
as Canada's National Library in Ottawa.  Larger private collectors use
them also.

Although I am the North American agent for Keith Monks, I sought the agency
because of the quality of the machine itself, and I am sold on the
performance of the machine, as are many others... I use it daily in my
restoration suite.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.