Re: arsclist Arhoolie Foundation - Digitizing Project

On 16-Feb-01, Tom Diamant wrote:

> A. Capturing the analog sound.
> 1. What is a good currently manufactured turntable with variable speed
> that will play 78s?

I use a Garrard 401 mounted on 2 stages of rubber. Feedback prevention
is very important as 78s have more built in rumble than LPs.

See
http://garrard501.com
for rebuit and new turntables.

> 2. What is a good currently manufactured pre-amp, preferably one with
> various EQ curves?

Don't know of a current one. The older Quad pre-amps such as the 44 had a useful
"tilt" control that does most of what is wanted. The very old tube-based
models had a big range of equalising plugins.

You could also record straight (ie using LP eq) and adjust in the
computer. The actual eq used on a disk is often uncertain.

> 3. What is a good cartridge that accepts a currently made 78 stylus?

I use a Shure V15 with an elliptical stylus. However, I am told that the
current model doesn't accept the 78 stylus with a good fit.

IMO it is best to record in stereo as you may find that the groove is
cleaner on one channel than the other.  Even with Cedar to remove the
noise, it is best to preserve as much information as possible.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx