Re: arsclist Arhoolie Foundation - Digitizing Project

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Tom Diamant wrote:

> B. The digitizing. We would like to use a PC instead of Mac.
> 1. What is a good model A/D converter?

I like the prism AD2 alot.  DB Technologies converters are also great.

> 2. What is a good sound card for the computer?
> 3. What program would be good to use to record and save the files?

For a PC I don't know first hand though I have heard good things about the
audiocube.  We use a Sonic Solutions USP System.

> 4. What file format would be best to save these in? Is there a format
> that allows meta data to be attached?

Broadcast wave has some metadata fields that, you guessed it, seem geared
toward broadcast applications.  We are currently inserting an APPL data
chunk into our AIFF files to hold local metadata related to the
preservation work.

|  David Ackerman               |  Telephone: 617-495-2794         |
|  Audio Preservation Engineer  |  Fax: 617-496-4636               |
|  Archive World Music          |  e-mail: dackerm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
|  Harvard University           |                                  |
|  Cambridge, MA 02138          |  PGP key 0xE928B52F              |