Re: arsclist Preservation of reel-to-reel, etc.

Lisa,

While I would not suggest trashing the original tapes (I believe in preserving the original artifact), in my opinion, converting them to CD-R is a reasonable approach for the short-to-near term.

I am sure there are people in the Princeton area who can do this. Vidpax is, I believe, in New York City and they should be able to do this.

I could do a few for you as well, but I'm on the left coast and it's not my day job <smile>.

You could also do the cassettes yourself with an audio CD recorder, the special audio CD blanks, a good cassette player, and a couple of standard audio patch cords to connect them together.

I would suggest transferring both sooner rather than later. The 60's tapes MAY be deteriorating (or may not, depends on many factors) and cassettes don't have that great a reputation (although in many respects I find the reputation is worse than my experience).

While in theory the reel-to-reel tapes will last a good long time (especially new ones made today) you've already helped prove my point that access to working players (especially in good condition) is going to be harder and harder to come by. I maintain two very good reproducers for different formats of 1/4 inch tape.

Please reply to richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- the from address is the one from which I subscribe to the list.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Glendale, CA USA http://www.richardhess.com/ Web page: folk and church music, photography, and broadcast engineering