Digitizing Audio for Library Use

I would like to know what recorded sound collections are doing presently in
terms of digitizing unpublished audio materials for inclusion in web based
educational presentations.

The use that I have been ask about is the possibility of a library consortium
including excerpts of traditional music field recordings to illustrate differing
instrumental and vocal styles.

I would be particularly interested in knowing how issues of copyright /
permission to use are being addressed, especially when the performer is unknown,
deceased. or in cases of group performances such as a worship service.
Generally, are collection administrators finding leeway to mount such efforts in
the Library Exemptions and Fair Use provisions of the U.S. Copyricht Act?

Harry Rice
Sound Archivist
Hutchins Library
Berea College