Re: arsclist cleaning and demagnetizing tapes

Isopropol alcohol won't hurt, but many of the consumer
preparations ("rubbing alcohol") also contain perfume
and other additives which your tape heads don't need.
Check the list of ingredients. Look for the label that says
"91% Isopropyl Alcohol by volume".

Or, you could buy a preparation made specifically for cleaning
tape heads. You can get it from pro audio/viedeo dealers.
Ampex used to make it in a small can, and now another company
makes the same product, also in a samll can.
I get it from Burlington Audio/Video, Inc. in Oceanside, NY.
(516) 678-4414. Called Head Cleaner, they sell it under the
Burlington brand. It contains Trichlorotrifluroethane.

Good luck. And don't inhale the fumes!
--
Doug Pomeroy   pomeroyaudio@xxxxxxx
Audio Restoration [CEDAR] & Remastering