Re: arsclist CD-Rs can't be played on all CD and DVD players

Several comments about the compatibility issues from a small-scale, practical perspective:

(1) CD-Rs will not play on some DVD players because they only have one laser. The DVD requires a shorter wavelength light than the CD. This works well with CDs, but not with CD-Rs. As I understand it, many DVD players have dual lasers.

(2) My experience based on burning somewhere over 1000 CD-Rs is that I had problems with a very few CD players with Taiyo Yuden gold disks. When I switched to Mitsui Gold or Silver disks, these played in the known problem players and no new players showed "bad" -- and I've been selling them at concerts and such as well as using them for archival and demo purposes. This experience pertains to two copies of a Yamaha CRW4260 burner. Your mileage may vary. A suggestion, though, is to identify the "problem" players and then test a different combination in those players while also making sure there are no new "problem" players.

Good luck!

Richard

Richard L. Hess                              richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Glendale, CA USA                           http://www.richardhess.com/
Web page: folk and church music, photography,
                 broadcast engineering, home wiring, and more