LP Equalisation Curves used by US Columbia

     Dear All,

         I am the Technical Manager at the British Library National Sound
     Archive. My work involves studying "industrial archaeology" to
     determine how old recordings were *meant* to be reproduced. Normally,
     it is a simple matter to establish which equalisation was used when a
     company started making LPs; but I have found innumerable examples when
     companies hid the change to what later became the International
     Standard, "RIAA". I am seeking a solution to this problem with U.S.
     Columbia. (Please forgive my pedantry calling it that; here in Britain
     the Columbia tradename was owned by EMI at the time, and had almost
     totally different repertoire - and equalisation!). Herewith a rather
     long explanation of my problem, for which I apologise.
         Since the 1920s, US Columbia had done a great deal of mastering
     for syndicated broadcasts, so it had used NAB characteristics since late
     1941, which became used for microgroove besides their own
     characteristics in 1948. (It is possible the deficiencies of the former
     showed the need for the latter). When they carried out mastering for
     other logos, they were often NAB. Unfortunately I do not know a way of
     distinguishing them, although after about 1950 (when variable-pitch
     grooving was used for Columbia's own LPs), the NAB-equalised LPs always
     seem to be cut at constant pitch. Can anybody help - were there
     different number-blocks, for example?
         US Columbia seems to have allocated consecutive numbers for most
     of their microgroove masters, starting from 200 in early 1948. By
     1954, when RIAA seems to have been adopted throughout America, they
     had reached about 20000 (and then appear to have jumped to 30000).
     The prefixes include TV (ten-inch sides), XTV or XLP (twelve-inch),
     and ZLP and ZSP (seven-inch 33s and 45s).
         US Columbia's characteristic was, in engineering terms, a good
     one, and does not seem to have changed with time. It was so
     well-founded that by 1952 constructional articles, texts, and
     preamplifiers were calling it simply "The LP Curve" without mentioning
     US Columbia's name at all, which is rather misleading - especially as
     the acronym "LP" was, at the time, a registered trademark in America.
     However, I have yet to see an official statement of the timeconstants
     involved. They seem to have been 100, 398, and 1590 microseconds. I
     have worked this out from circuits and curve-fitting - can anyone back
     me up?
         I do not know precisely when the change to RIAA took place; the
     differences between US Columbia and RIAA are not conspicuous to the
     ear. Unfortunately, US Columbia itself maintained a public silence. I
     have written elsewhere about the results of listening-tests comparing
     the same subject-matter to resolve such anomalies, but finding two
     copies of the same performance on LPs with different equalisation is
     practically impossible on this side of the Atlantic.
         Another difficulty lies in understanding the matrix-number
     suffixes, which do not follow any system I know. I conjecture that
     when the subject-matter remained the same, the "take number" remained
     the same; but if re-mastering proved necessary, the letter following
     the take-number incremented. (Again, can anyone confirm this?)
         To narrow the difficulty, I have used LPs mastered by US Columbia
     and issued under the following US logos: "Vox", "Westminster" and
     "Haydn Society." These logos did not maintain the aforesaid "public
     silence" about their change to RIAA. If the information on their
     sleeves is correct, and assuming US Columbia changed at the same time
     and also that it numbered its masters consecutively, then the
     changeover seems to have been between matrixes XTV19724-1A and
     XTV19938-1C.

          If anyone can confirm or deny any of this, I would be very
     grateful, and I hope to reciprocate somehow.

     Peter Copeland
     Technical Manager
     British Library National Sound Archive,
     96 Euston Road,