ARSC Conference Schedule--Here It Is!

ARSCListers!  Here it is!  Below is the preliminary program schedule
for the 34th Annual Conference of the Association for Recorded Sound
Collections.  The registration packets are at the printers, but here
is a special advance viewing.  If you are an ARSC member you should
be getting your packet sometime next week.  If you are not a member
and wish to receive one, contact Steve Weiss, Local Arrangements
Chair, <smweiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>.  You can also see some basic info on
our web site http://www.arsc-audio.org (click on "conferences."
Within a few days you will be able to see all of the material in the
registration packet and more.  We also plan updates on the web page
if there are any schedule changes or new info.

For those of you on our list who are not members or are not familiar
with our ARSC conferences, we urge you to look over the information
and we hope you will decide to come.  Our conferences are noted for
important information AND people contacts. The informal discussions
that are not on the schedule--but sometimes last far into the
night--can mean as much as what is on the schedule.

So take a look at what we have to offer you this year and make a
decision to join us in North Carolina on May 31.

Mike Biel  m.biel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE  ARSC 2000  CHAPEL HILL, NORTH CAROLINA
(Unless noted, all events take place in the Pleasants Room,
Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.)

WEDNESDAY,  MAY 31, 2000
9:00am-5:00pm   Board of Directors Meeting  Toy Lounge, Dey Hall
9:00am-4:30pm   ARSC Basic Care and Management of Sound Recordings
                      Workshop    (Separate registration required)
4:45-5:30pm     Behind the Scenes Tour of the Southern Folklife
                  Collection, 4th Floor, Manuscripts Dept.
                  Wilson Library  (limited to 15)
3:00-6:00pm     Registration      Carolina Inn
7:00-9:00pm     Opening Reception    Carolina Inn

THURSDAY, JUNE 1, 2000
8:00am-3:00pm   Registration      Lobby, Wilson Library
9:00-9:15am     ARSC Welcome/Opening Remarks
9:15-10:00am    Preserving the Sounds of the South: The Artus
                  Moser Collection   Amy Davis & Steve Weiss
10:00-10:30am   The Booze Yacht: Ballads from Core Sound
                  Wayne Martin
10:30-10:45     Coffee Break
10:45-11:15     Music from the Lost Provinces   Marshall Wyatt
11:15-12Noon    The Complete Sousa Band Recordings
                  Fred Williams and Seth Winner
12:00-1:00pm    Lunch
1:00-1:45pm     Perpetuating the Artistry of Leonard Warren:
                  A 15 Year Labor of Love   Barrett Crawford
1:45-2:45pm     The Copyright Dilemma: Ask the Lawyer
                  Laura Gasaway
2:45-3:00pm     Coffee Break
3:00-3:30pm     The Care and Feeding of Home Recordings  Bob Carlin
3:30-4:15pm     Wilma Cozart Fine & Mercury Living Presence Stereo
                  Dennis Rooney
4:15-5:15pm     Early Recordings and Artists of Russian Romance and
                  Gypsy Singing     Valery Safoshkin, Moscow, Russia
6:00-9:00pm     Record/Book Crawl (On your own)
7:00-8:30pm     Duplicate Record Sale, Southern Folklife Collection

FRIDAY, JUNE 2, 2000
8:00am-3:00pm   Registration    Lobby, Wilson Library
9:00-9:45am     The Library of Congress National Audio-Visual
                  Conservation & Digital Repository  Sam Brylawski
9:45-10:30am    Designer Labels and the Modern Collector: or,
                  A Systematic Approach To the Description and
                  Classification of American Disc Record Labels
                  Kurt Nauck and Allan Sutton
10:30-10:45am   Coffee Break
10:45-11:30am   Jack Norworth: King of the Palace    Allen Debus
11:30am-12:15pm Grey Gull Records: Boston?s Own Label  Donna Halper
12:15-1:15pm    Lunch
12:15-1:15pm    Membership/Publicity Committee Meeting
1:15-2:00pm     Use of Motion Pictures as Digital Sound Recording
                  Medium       Fred Lipsett
2:00-3:30pm     Technical Committee Presentation--Part I
                  Digital Recording Techniques: A Refresher Course
                  & Overview of Formats   Gary Galo and Joe Patrych
3:30-3:45pm     Coffee Break
3:45-5:15pm     Technical Committee Presentation--Part II
                  24/96 High-Definition Digital Audio: Where Are
                  We Headed With This?   Gary Galo,  Seth Winner,
                  Dennis Rooney, and Joe Patrych
4:45-5:30pm   Southern Folklife Collection Studio and Exhibit
                  Open House.  Behind the Scenes Tour of the
                  Southern Folklife Collection, 4th Floor,
                  Manuscripts Dept. Wilson Library(limited to 15)
6:00-9:00pm   Record/Book Crawl (On your own)

SATURDAY, JUNE 3, 2000
8:00am-12:00pm    Registration      Lobby, Wilson Library
9:00-9:45am       It Was 40 Years Ago Today    William Schurk
9:45-10:30am      Augustus Stroh: The Forgotten Scientist of Sound
                     Timothy Fabrizio and George F. Paul
10:30-10:45am     Coffee Break
10:45-11:45am     Duplicates in the Nineties and the National
                    Phonograph Company's Block Numbered Series
                    Raymond R. Wile
11:45-12:15       A Modern Wire Replay System    Art Shifrin
12:15-1:15pm      Lunch
1:15-2:00pm       The Recording Industry & Development of Standards
                     of Ochestral Performance:  A Case Study of EMI,
                     Sir Thomas Beecham and the Formation of the
                     London Philharmonic Orchestra   David Patmore
2:00-2:45pm       Mozart as He Is Sung    Steven Smolian
2:45-3:15pm       Restoration of Leonard Feather's 1938-39 "From
                     Spirituals to Swing" Concerts    Doug Pomeroy
3:15-3:30pm       Coffee Break
3:30-5:00pm       ARSC Business Meeting
6:00-7:00pm       Happy Hour       Wilson Library Lobby
7:00-8:00pm       Pig Pickin': North Carolina Barbecue
8:00-8:30pm       ARSC Excellence Awards