Re: arsclist Reels and Boxes

     This might be a little late but I have a few cents to put in.

     I'm not a believer in the hermetically sealed packaging approach
     (inasmuch as that is possible) for any media formats because:

     1) One can't avoid sealing environmental contaminents in the container
     unless it is sealed in a clean room, which most of us don't have and
     can't afford

     2) The item sealed in the container would stew in its own juices, so
     to speak

     3) One couldn't easily check on the status of a stored item without
     breaking the seal

     4) The Library of Congress had a bad experience with lacquers sealed
     into shield-packs (as I recall)

     I have an anecdote that points up the failings of the 3M plastic tape
     box:

     Several years ago in the Rodgers & Hammerstein Archives of Recorded
     Sound (at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts) we had
     a flood that doused the 10" tape collection.  The tapes in the plastic
     boxes got wet because the water ran into them through the opening
     which runs around the middle of the edges of the box.  The tapes in
     the cardboard boxes (both archival and regular) got less wet or not
     wet at all because first, the paper absorbed the water, and second,
     the clamshell design does not present an upward-facing opening through
     which contaminants can enter (water and dirt, primarily).

     Other failings of the plastic box:

     1) They are impossible to handle in batches -- if you try to move many
     at once you will find yourself in a Lucy and Ethel situation

     2) They are hard to label

     3) There's no room to insert the production notes that you can't put
     on the outside of the box

     In short, go with the archival boxes.  I would use the acid-free ones
     because, whether or not the acid has a bad effect on the tape, the
     boxes themselves won't become brittle.

     Mark Tolleson
     The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts

     P.S. This is my opinion, not necessarily the opinion of the New York
     Public Library