Re: arsclist Reels and boxes

"Richard L. Hess" wrote:
> I would strongly suggest metal reels over plastic ones for all back-coated
> tapes from the '70's and '80's since the plastic reels are a bit iffy for
> baking.

I do have a couple of tapes with stickey-shed that are not
back-coated.  Has it ever been proved that the backcoating had a
role in the problem?

> Baking is not suggested as a routine treatment, but should the tape
> be in need of baking then it should not be spooled prior to the baking
> process as that will increase the chance of irreparable damage.

Is there any risk of damage if you are winding the tape directly
from reel to reel without passing over any guides?  If not, that
would make this aspect of the use of metal over plastic reels a moot
point.

Mike Biel  m.biel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  mbiel@xxxxxxx