Hello: An introduction

Hi, I just saw the posting in rec.audio.pro and I immediately joined the list.

I've heard a bit about ARSC from Don McCrosky who's involved with
restoration in L.A. I'm nearby in Glendale, California, and am doing
restoration work on tapes mostly dating from the late '60's to early '80's.

Hi, Don, are you on this list yet??

I've had great results baking, when it's been called for.

My specialty of late has been Canadian (and to a lesser extent) American
folk music from tape, although I've done a few from-vinyl restorations for
fun. My original purpose of learning about this was to archive a 500-tape
archive I created in the '70's and early '80's of concerts and recordings
in and around New York City, including St. Thomas Church, Fifth Avenue, and
The Great Neck Symphony Orchestra. While my tapes are not yet
deteriorating, I'd prefer to transfer them within the next ten years.

I'm working solely with 1/4-inch tape and am using a Sony APR5003V for my
2-track and mono playback (7.5ips-30ips), a Revox A77 MkIII for my 3-3/4
and 7-1/2 Dolby B playback, and a Tandberg 3500X for my 1-7/8ips - 7-1/2
ips 1/4-track stereo playback.

I record to a Panasonic SV3800 DAT and then transfer that digitally to my
computer where I'm using Samplitude 2496 from SEK'D to remaster and
transfer to CD-R. I archive both Red Book CD-R's and data CD-R's, generally
keeping the raw wave files in case someone later doesn't like my mastering
choices...I also archive the Samplitude Edit Decision Lists and scans of
cover art and if any original mastering notes exist I transcribe them and
put them on the CD-R.  I also make multiple copies of the final Red Book
and Data CD-R's and distribute them to several sites.

It's a fun hobby! I've also put in a paper proposal to the NAB for the 2000
conference discussing the topic in a more general nature.

Cheers,

Richard L. Hess
Glendale, CA

Richard L. Hess                              rlhess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Glendale, CA USA                           http://rlhess.home.mindspring.com/
Web page: folk and church music, photography, broadcast engineering, and more