[padg] Re: copyright for foreign titles

Hi, Cathleen,
I wish I had more time to go into this at the moment. For right
now, take a look at our freethebooks blog on this topic and see
if the materials provided help.
http://blogs.lib.utexas.edu/freethebooks

Heads up: UT techical digi-services is doing maintenance right
now so the site might not be immediately available.
--
Maria E. Gonzalez
gonzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quoting Cathleen Martyniak <cathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

 Hello,

 I am looking for information re: legally reformatting brittle
 materials
 published outside the US.  I have many brittle books that are
 not US
 imprints that have been selected for long term retention and I
 want to
 scan/post. Unfortunately, I am unable to [easily or at all]
 determine
 their copyright status.

 What do you do at your institution with this kind of material?
 Do you
 apply US law to it?  Do you attempt to determine the copyright
 law of
 the foreign country and correctly apply it? Do you scan and
 post it and
 if anyone ever complains you take it down? Or does a backlog of
 these
 books simply build up in your office?

 I suspect I am not the only Preservation operation with this
 question.
 Perhaps you would respond to the list and we could try to get a
 nice
 conversation going on the topic??

 Thank you,

 Cathy

 Cathleen L. Martyniak

 Preservation Department

 University of Florida Smathers Libraries

 Gainesville, FL 32611

 (voice) 352 273 2830

 (fax) 352 392 6597

 (email) cathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx