Sources for Three Kinds of Weightsby Abigail B. Quandt
- Clotilde Inc.
2 Sew Smart Way - B8031
Stevens Point, WI 54481-8031
- "Wonder Weights" are small round lead weights covered with a white plastic coating. The bottoms of the weights are covered with green felt.
- 6 per package @ $8.24 each
- "Shape Weights" are plastic weights with a lead(?) interior that come in 3 shapes: straight, angled and curved
- 4 per package (2 straight, 1 angled, 1 curved) @ $11.20 each
Diver's "Pillow" Weights
- any diving store
- "Pillow weights" are soft rectangular weights, approximately 2" x 4", made from lead shot and covered with Cordura nylon. Weight: 2 lbs.
- $5.00/each (depending on supplier)
- John Lewis
London W1A 1EX
(or any other British department store that carries a wide range of upholstry and other sewing notions)
- Continuous length of 150 g. lead "tape", made up of small pellets of lead enclosed in a narrow tube of heavy white nylon or polyester fabric.
- £1.65 per meter
- used to hold open the leaves of a bound manuscript for the purpose of examination or treatment, as seen in Fig. 1. (Note: American curtain weights cannot be substituted for the British ones as they are not heavy enough to do the job)
Received: Fall 1996
Paper delivered at the Book and Paper specialty group session, AIC 24th Annual Meeting, June 10-16, 1996, Norfolk Virginia.
Papers for the specialty group session are selected by committee, based on abstracts and there has been no further peer review. Papers are received by the compiler in the Fall following the meeting and the author is welcome to make revisions, minor or major.