[AIC National Collections Emergency News]

The Association of Art Museum Curators award $16, 000 in Emergency Grants to New Orleans Curators

The Association of Art Museum Curators
AAMC to award $16, 000 in Emergency Grants to New Orleans Curators
Press release
October 2005
AAMC News
http://www.artcurators.org/

"The Association of Art Museum Curators announced today that it will award eight (8) grants of $2,000 (a total of $16, 000) to curators at the New Orleans Museum of Art as well as at the Contemporary Arts Center, Louisiana. 'The conversations I have had with displaced curators over the course of the past three weeks reinforced our decision to make a concrete gesture of assistance. One of the primary goals of an organization such as ours is to be able to help colleagues in need.' says Elizabeth Easton, president of the AAMC.

  "After making contact with Lisa Rotondo McCord, a curator from
   the New Orleans Museum of Art, who had just returned to find her
   house without electricity and water, Easton received an email
   stating, 'I hope you can imagine what it means to have offers of
   support from distant places at such a time as this. It is very
   motivating and affirming.'

  "While emergency response plans are still being put into place in
   the gulf region, it is not known how long and to what extent
   curators will be affected. The AAMC grants are meant to ensure
   that curators receive some financial support during this
   uncertain time while museums assess the impact of Katrina on
   their operating capabilities.

  "'As members of the AAMC, we can take pride in helping our fellow
   curators; we are all looking for ways to assist our colleagues
   in this stressful and disruptive time,' Easton says."