[no subject]

This for the first time, affords us an opportunity to preserve digital video
and digital data source materials using film materials. It also has the
advantage of using the 24p or 48p master for international distribution in
areas with 50 rather than 60 Hz power and for use in the respective HDTV and
SDTV marketplaces.

Readers will appreciate that the answer to the question as to whether video
can be transformed into film is not simple. But having done the harder film
to digital data and back to film again, that should not be difficult to do.
>From the looks of it, we appear to finally have some answers that meet the
needs of high quality television and electronic cinema markets. This also
highlights the need for the production community to remain abreast of
technological opportunities when deciding how to make a production that will
be future-proof. The new digital master described above, can become a
suitable source for multiple applications, such as motion picture, HDTV,
standard television,(SDTV) DVD, Internet and E-Cinema.

To archivists, there are distinct advantages to storing content once on
polyester film media, that admittedly is initially more expensive than
single generation video. But when we consider the implied requirement to
keep transferring video (or datatape) on an ongoing (and for data tape even
more frequent) basis, using expensive automated and unstable (temporary)
recording systems, and incompatible frame rates, I believe that the film
option for extended-term archiving, for 24p or 48p video will eventually be
less expensive and less risky. The only nervousness I have is that both the
24p and 48p approaches are really proprietary single vendor technologies.
Given the track record of video manufacturers in sustaining format designs
over the long haul, we have reason to be nervous, but if we keep abreast of
developments, we can benefit by preserving our content on 24p or 48p digital
source materials as film for much longer than either of these enabling
technologies can offer in the video domain.

Thanks for the opportunity to add this perspective to the discussion.

Best regards,

Ed H. Zwaneveld,
Technological Research and Development
National Film Board of Canada