[no subject]

I think I was hoping someone could give an "inside"
scoop on what the refurbishing business is all about, and whether--  when
there is a claim that the unit has been put back into factory specs--  that
it is indeed "as new."

As I said before, my own inclination is to stay
away from anything that might be regarded as a "factory second" because, as Jim
and others point out, the potential hassles outweigh the supposed cost
savings.

I believe the units being offered carry a 90-day
warranty from Yamaha, but I can't swear to it.

Generally, it does seem to come down to the risk
factor and just how much risk one is willing to be exposed to to save some
money.  I'm pretty much with Jim in that if I need an obsolete piece of
equipment, of course that is going to have to be used and the chances are good
that it won't be functioning perfectly when I get it.  But stuff like racks
have no moving parts to get out of order, so aside from cosmetic flaws, they are
likely to serve me as well as they served the person before me.

Anyway, this is interesting
hearing people's thoughts on buying used stuff.  I'm still curious about
what "refurbished" means to most people.  To me it means Buyer
Beware.  Anyone think differently?

Steve Green
Western Folklife Center
sgreen@westernfolklife.org