[no subject]

In some respects DTV proves the point quite nicely in that materials
with reduced bandwidth and resolution will clearly look worse when
encoded (and particularly upconverted) then materials of full bandwidth
and full resolution.  Better looking material will have more utility in
production and therefore be more valuable.  I think that this means that
you do not intentionally reduce bandwidth if there is no reason to do
so.  If you already have high bandwidth should you reduce it for
archival storage?  I think that the answer is clearly no.  Materials
that have been acquired in already reduced bandwidth is another issue -
if you have already lost it.... there is no going back.

When we get out of the strict "video" world of compression and discuss
more "net" compression - things get much much worse very quickly.
Consider - A job edited on an avid with proprietary mjpeg is then made
into - a REAL video stream - A MPEG 2 DVD - and a Sorenson streaming
version.  Consider the job in parallel and it is currently a nightmare -
consider the problem in a serial problem and it is your worst
nightmare.... and that is the rub for an archive - you cannot guarantee
how the materials will be used in the future - so for the archive it is
getting much, much more complicated and video compression issues like
discussing DigiBeta versus DVCPRO50 are nothing when discussing all of
the issues in the various streaming software options and technologies.

Compression is a fact of life - it always has been... but for an archive
the job of preserving the material for the future becomes the serious
business - and to some extent protecting the material from loss due to
many perils is an extremely important part of the job.  Degeneration or
loss from many things - from fire and flood - from over eager "spring
cleaning", from patron loss, from rerecording over tapes to save money
in the lean years - and yes - including degeneration through compression
depletion - meaning... after you have compressed the compression of the
compression of the compression that was decompressed and then unencoded
and then recompressed before upconverting...... what did the original
really look like in the first place??
No one will know.... forever - and forever is a LONG time.

jim

Jim Lindner - President
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media and Information Migration Full Services
Company
Telephone 212-563-1999
www.vidipax.com
Moderator of A/V Media Matters@topica.com